httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Differences between different Apaches in file requests
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:23:36 GMT
Eric Covener wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:00 AM, #V[Á]lentín <valentin@sanva.net> wrote:
>
>>> In any case, thanks for bringing this problem up.  I have been using
>>> Apache for a very long time, and I am also not an native English-speaker.  I
>>> can't imagine that I have not encountered the same issue before, so I can
>>> only imagine that this logic is relatively new in Apache under Windows.
>>>

> Seems to be the same behavior in 2.0, I hadn't seen anyone post the
> error log entry generated for these:
>
> (22)Invalid argument: Cannot map GET /%DE HTTP/1.1 to file
>
> IMO this should be a decent hint to keep someone from looking at
> permissions or authorization.  Net, you have to carefully link to your
> non US-ASCII content on all platforms, you can't just type something
> semantically equivalent in your client.

In that respect, yes you should.  The client should not have to know on
which platform the server is running, and send a fundamentally different
URL depending.

I did the following experiment : on a Linux Debian Apache 2.2.4 server,
I copied the file "joaquín.gif" in the document root.
Then, with the same workstation and the same Firefox browser as before,
I requested "http://hostname/joaquín.gif".
I get the document without problem.
The Apache access log has this to say :
192.168.245.253 - - [25/Sep/2008:14:12:43 +0200] "GET /joaqu%EDn.gif
HTTP/1.1" 200 2326 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB;
rv:1.8.1.15) Gecko/20080623 Firefox/2.0.0.15"

In any case, that the Windows incarnation of Apache 2.x would return a
403 code (instead of the less inappropriate 404) is still another issue.
The URL requested is not illegal, nor is this document submitted to any
kind of permission or authorization.