httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Mohr <goj...@archive.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Update: really on 2.2.4, can't unset or edit 'Expires' (was Re: [users@httpd] mod-headers 'early' keyword working in 2.2.4?
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:40:07 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:17:11 -0700
> Gordon Mohr <gojomo@archive.org> wrote:
>
>>  It looked like 'early' might have
>> some chance of removing the original Expires without disturbing the
>> mod_expires addition.
>
> Not a chance.  It happens long before the proxy has been
> contacted, let alone sent you an Expires header.
>
> You need Header edit.  And an upgrade to 2.2.x.

Hmm. I'm beginning to wonder if the situations where any of the 'Header'
directives can change an existing header are very limited.

I've moved to the inner server (not the inbound proxy, but the machine
being proxied-to), which is truly running 2.2.4. A Perl CGI that I'd
prefer not to disturb is generating the unwanted 'Expires' header.

None of the following in the Apache configuration (each tried
independently) work to remove or change the header on the outbound
response:

Header unset Expires

header set Expires foo

Header edit Expires ^.*$ foo

However, setting other headers works (so it's not a simple matter of the
directives being placed in the wrong place).

Are there cases in which a CGI's returned headers are unchangeable by
mod_headers?

- Gordon @ IA