httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Mohr <goj...@archive.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod-headers 'early' keyword working in 2.2.4?
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 01:17:11 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:49:19 -0700
> Gordon Mohr <gojomo@archive.org> wrote:
>
>> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, if anything?
>
> Sounds like you're using an older Apache version than you think:
> that's exactly what I'd expect from Apache 2.0.x, which didn't
> support the "early" keyword.

Indeed, I'd been misled by a Server header it was forwarding from
another server. It is 2.0.x. That explains the errors.  Thanks!

> Why do you want early?  It's there as an aid for developers
> rather than for operational use.  And if you're a developer,
> why aren't you using the source?

Motivation for 'early':

The server in question is proxying to another server which often
provides a bad Expires header. I'd like to strip that header and replace
it with a new Expires, +1 day.

Using mod_expires alone only seems to add the Expires header on proxied

Using 'Header unset Expires', in any order relative to the Expires
directives, removes all Expires. It looked like 'early' might have some
chance of removing the original Expires without disturbing the
mod_expires addition.

Any other ideas for achieving the desired effect only via configuration
on the proxying Apache?

I saw the note that 'early' is intended as "a test/debugging aid for
developers", but the followup description -- that the headers can be
further changed by other modules -- is exactly the effect I need. Since
not even the source I viewed suggested any further risks to using
'early' operationally, it seemed worth a try.

- Gordon @ IA