httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Slow (Delayed) CGI request
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:53:53 GMT
John McGowan wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:32 PM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>> John McGowan wrote:
>> [...]
>> If you get a command window on the server where the Apache server runs, and
>> issue a "nslookup ..." with the IP address of your workstation, what happens
>> ?
>>
>> Then, *if* you get a delay, what does the file /etc/resolv.conf contain ?
>>
>> (As a matter of fact, when you connect to the server via SSH, does it also
>> take some time before you get the first prompt ?)
>> Just checking..
>
> I wish it did...  I've seen issues like that in the past and knew how
> to solve them.
>
> This problem, while similar in appearance, doesn't seem to be DNS
> related.  I didn't see any unexpected DNS queries when looking at the
> tcpdump...
>
> I've just gotten a different server on the network, that wasn't part
> of the cluster of apache servers, to execute the cgi scripts quickly.
> that server uses the same DNS infrastructure as the other servers.
>
> I'm at a total loss here...
>
> I know i'm not giving much to go on here... I was just hoping that
> there was some common mistake i was making.

Let's try to be logical here.
It's not DNS-related.
It happens on all the servers of that cluster, but not on a server
outside the cluster.
Don't remember if you said that before, but is it a *new* issue ? new in
the sense that you already had cgi-bin programs before, and they were
fast, and now suddenly they are slow ?
Or did you not have cgi programs on those servers before, and is this
your first try ?

By the look of the above, it must be some element common to the servers
of the cluster.  If it is not DNS...
- is it some common network directory on which this (these) cgi-bins are
located ?
- do the servers all share the majority of their httpd.conf settings ?
if yes, can you post one such httpd.conf ?
- apart from "Allow from..", do those servers all share some common
authentication scheme, maybe "inherited" without your knowledge by the
cgi-bin directory ?
- are the scripts you are testing all perl ?
- if yes, do you use mod_perl ?

running out of questions for now.