httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] redirecting based on the browser locale
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:07:11 GMT
Yusuf Koer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to redirect to the right community based on the browser
> locale.
> If my browser is set to English locale, Apache should automatically
> redirect to for example mysite.com/en. Is that possible and how would
> the RewriteCond/RewriteRule look like?

Rule # 1 : the server never knows anything for sure about the client.
Rule # 2 : the server does not know the browser locale, because that's a
setting that the user can change locally, and it does not tell the
server about it.

This being said, about the only way I can imagine where you could "kind
of" guess the browser locale, are the "Accept-Language" and
"Accept-Charset" HTTP headers that the browser *might* send with his
requests.
You can check those with SetEnvIf (mod_setenvif) or with RewriteCond
(mod_rewrite), and use them to do something.
If you are into perl, you could also write a mod_perl add-on
access-control module that would pretty much allow you to do whatever
you want.

To see which such headers are being exchanged, an easy way is with the
Firefox add-on "LiveHttpHeaders", which is a useful add-on in many
circumstances anyway.
Otherwise, there must exist some Apache add-on module that dumps the
request headers somewhere.

There is also something in Apache called "content negociation", which
you might want to look up in the on-line documentation. I don't really
know if it is applicable in this case, but it might in any case give you
some ideas of how to do this cleanly.

Hope this helps
André