httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Rewrite Rule help
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:58:34 GMT
Eric Covener wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 4:02 PM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>>> (you can do the latter via your regex, but it's usually simpler to
>>> guard it the other way)
>>>

>> RewriteRule !^/maintenance\.html$  /maintenance.html [R=302,NC,L]
>
> It quickly gets unamangeable as you need to add captures (putting you
> into the realm of lookahead/lookbehind) and 2nd/3rd/4th escape hatches

Now, come on. I was answering this particular one, in which there are no
captures nor any necessary. My solution is one line, yours is two; mine
does not have to backtrack to the RewriteCond, yours does; regexpes are
fast; and there is certainly some extra overhead in fetching
%{REQUEST_URI} and comparing it to "/maintenance.html".
Admit defeat, sportingly. ;-)

Plus, if it was so that one needed to capture parts, you would need also
several RewriteCond's, and probable variables to hold them, no ?
(genuinely asking, I'm just starting to learn mod_rewrite)