httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin Pasher <just...@newmediagateway.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Configuration Question
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:38:14 GMT
Carol Walter wrote:
> I am talking about the document root.  I'm sorry it was unclear.  I'm
> a newby.  =)  I guess my real question is, does it have to be a user
> in /home/username on a Unix system?  I'll have only one user - the app
> user.
>
> Carol

If you are talking about the global DocumentRoot setting in the Apache
config, then that directory can be anything you want it to be. Usually
people have it set to something like /var/www, but the default depends
on your distribution. After setting the DocumentRoot accordingly, you
can put files in that directory and they will be accessible when you
access the server via IP address or domain name that points to that IP
address.

http://1.2.3.4/     -> pulls from ->     /var/www  (DocumentRoot directive)

If you want people to be able to host files in their home directory,
this is where the UserDir directive comes into play. This is most
commonly set to public_html. The files will be pulled like so...

http://1.2.3.4/~username/     -> pulls from ->
/home/username/public_html  (UserDir directive)

--
Justin Pasher