httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <li...@jaqui-greenlees.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Directory hiding
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:41:37 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

> On 16 Sep 2008, at 06:57, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
>
>> That may be the case but their recommendation is still: Issue a "404 -
>> Not Found" response status code for a forbidden resource, or remove it
>> completely.
>
> Either they're wrong or you're misreading.
>
> But I can see what's happening.  It's "chinese whispers", starting from
> the CIS benchmark.  Most likely someone along the way (IBM's tech
> writer's boss or somesuch) insisted that a meaningful explanation
> would be too difficult for their lusers, and either didn't understand or
> didn't care that it's misleading.
>
> Security by Cookery.  BTDT.  I can feel a blog entry coming on.

~chuckle~

Technically, cooking is following a detailed set of instructions, one
set for each item being cooked, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

I don't disagree with the conclusion in this particular case, hiding
filesystem structure in the documentroot is not an improvement in security.
I'm always concerned with security issues, but it's in the app code and
data verification that I see as being where to focus my attention. At
least until such time as updated underlying technologies are implimented
to address the security issues.

Since the internet was built at a time and in an environment where
security wasn't a concern at all, the core technologies need to be
rebuilt with security as a priority. That would probably impact the HTTP
Server and many other projects, requiring a lot of work to have them
function with the new system(s) properly.

Jaqui