httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zachariah Zachariah <zk...@genome.stanford.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] CGI buffering problems with Apache 2.2.6 and perl
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:16:10 GMT
Hi,

I recently upgraded from apache-1.3 to apache-2.2.6 on a Sun Solaris x86
machine with Perl 5.8. Our web application uses perl scripts in the CGI
environment. A few of them do a lot of number crunching before it spews
its result page. So in order to keep the user informed of what is
happening we used to output intermittent messages from the standard
output to the waiting page. This was done through nph scripts in
Apache-1.3 and $|=1 in perl. This had worked fine for us.

When we upgraded to Apache 2.2.6 we found that our nph scripts would not
load and so we changed its name from nph- to non nph- files. It was
documented that from Apache-1.3 onwards, nph-files were no longer needed
as Apache would be doing unbuffered CGI by default. So we converted all
our nph-files to non-nph files and also any references to them from
other files. However, now we find that our intermittent output are not
displayed at all. Instead we get a blank page while computations are
done. There is an endless wait and after all computations are complete
(normally takes hours), we get the result page. This seems to suggest
that unbuffered CGI is not really working in Apache-2.2 or there may be
other ways to make it work which is not documented.

Has any one faced similar situations? What is the remedy? Is there a
workaround? Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Zachariah Z.
Systems Administrator
Stanford Microarray Database