httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] multipart request and modern browsers
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:55:19 GMT
Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have tried to find not-outdated (as, say, RFCs are) information about the
> ways modern browsers form a multipart request with all their (browsers's)
> bugs (IE, am sure, has plenty of them as always), but have not found any
> information suitable to use in code (the information I have found is
> scattered and far from being complete).
>
> Can anybody point me appropriate resources to dig in?

Hi.
Not really a direct answer, but may help anyway :

In my experience, pretty much all modern browsers "do the right thing"
*if* you specify the parameters correctly in the html <form> itself.
So, *if* the form has the correct "method" attribute and the correct
"enctype" attribute and the correct "accept-charset" attribute, you can
pretty much control how they will send the form data to the server.
Look up in Google for "html +form +xxxxxx", xxxx being one of the above
atributes, and you'll get several documents which describe this precisely.
Otherwise, if you have a more precise question about what you would like
to happen, come back here.

What you cannot control of course, is what some &%/&%!(??&(/&(§W$$$§
users will always find in order to circumvent all your careful plans.

Also, have you looked at the Apache "ScriptLog" directive ?
Assuming that the target of such a browser post is (or can be made to
be) a cgi-bin script, and assuming you can make the script fail when it
receives the request, the log created by ScriptLog is quite enlightening.
Nothing like checking what really happens, in addition to what should
happen.