httpd-users mailing list archives

From Drew Tomlinson <d...@mykitchentable.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Trouble With mod_rewrite
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:46:56 GMT
I'm using Apache version 2.2.6 with dynamic modules.  I'm trying to use
mod_rewrite to change a URL.  Specifically, if someone enters:

http://www.consumer-sc.ca.gov

I want to redirect him and make his browser window show:

http://www.consumerservices.ca.gov

Both domains resolve to the same IP address.

I've Googled and found many examples that describe this very exact
scenario but I have been unable to make it work.  Specifically, I've
added these lines to my conf file:

# Added Rewrite rule to change consumer-sc.ca.gov consumerservices.ca.gov
# Taken from example at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/rewriteguide.html
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^www\.consumer-sc\.ca\.gov$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^$
RewriteRule ^/(.*)         http://www.consumerservices.ca.gov/$1 [L,R=301]

After restarting the web server, connections to
http://www.consumer-sc.ca.gov do not get rewritten.  The page is served
exactly as if there was no mod_rewrite.

Connections to http://www.consumerservices.ca.gov receive a "Moved
Permanently - The document has moved here." message with "here" being a
link to http://www.consumerservices.ca.gov.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple.  Would someone please hit me with
a clue stick?

Thanks,

Drew

--