httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Spliting ServerRoot
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:43:29 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
>> André Warnier wrote:

>>> In the httpd.conf (or apache.conf) and/or similar VirtualHost conf
>>> files, there are 2 lines :
>>> ErrorLog and CustomLog, which indicate the logfiles for errors, and
>>> for accesses respectively.
>>> If the paths to these files start with a "/", then the path is
>>> absolute. If it starts without a "/", then it is relative to the
>>> server root.
>>>  From what you say above, I guess they start with "logs/....", which
>>> make them relative.
>>> So just change that to "/usr2/httpd/logs/.." or whatever you need,
>>> and restart apache.
>>
>> TA - that was the kick I needed. But I can't restart until they finish
>> work tonight.
>>
>> Now I just need to work out why on the 1st of the Month when the logs
>> are changed over Apache hangs and has to be restarted? I can't see
>> anything in the logs, but it's almost as if it's stopped, logs
>> renamed, but then not started by which ever script is controlling it?
>>
> Look for instances of "logrotate", /etc/logrotate, /etc/logrotate.d and
> so on.  You can also look in /etc/cron.monthly, which is probably where
> it all starts.
> But then, if you have a problem wit that, ask on a Linux list, not here,
> because this has nothing to do with Apache.
>
> And, by the way, if you change the location of the logfiles, then your
> current configuration of logrotate will not be valid anymore, and you
> will *have* to change it.
> Have fun.

Now THAT fills the gap. I had only installed 'apache' - the installed did the
rest, so I've been looking in 'httpd' at the stuff there for log rotation. It
LOOKS as if there is a problem with what it has written to
/etc/logrotate.d/httpd which may well be part of the problem.

Sometimes I wish that we had a COMPLETE log of what an install or update
affected and where everything has been added. When it works it's fine, but
when something fails ......

Thanks again for a kick in the right direction.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL