httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Spliting ServerRoot
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:09:28 GMT
Lester Caine wrote:
> André Warnier wrote:
>> Lester Caine wrote:
>>> I've just had a problem on a site that I need to get fixed properly.
>>>
>>> I should probably have taken a bit more care when I set thing up, but
>>> at that time I missed one thing, and that was that the log files
>>> default to ServerRoot.
>>>
>>> I don't want to move the configuration files from /etc/ but I need to
>>> move all the logging over to /usr2/ so that it does not fill the base
>>> 8Gb partition - and crash the server :(
>>>
>>> Is there a 'global' setting which will move the base log directory or
>>> do I have to handle each logging directive manually? This is on a
>>> Mandiva 2008.0 setup which uses /etc/httpd/ but on the SUSE setup I
>>> seem already to have the logging split, and can't see why it's
>>> different.
>>>
>> In the httpd.conf (or apache.conf) and/or similar VirtualHost conf
>> files, there are 2 lines :
>> ErrorLog and CustomLog, which indicate the logfiles for errors, and
>> for accesses respectively.
>> If the paths to these files start with a "/", then the path is
>> absolute. If it starts without a "/", then it is relative to the
>> server root.
>>  From what you say above, I guess they start with "logs/....", which
>> make them relative.
>> So just change that to "/usr2/httpd/logs/.." or whatever you need, and
>> restart apache.
>
> TA - that was the kick I needed. But I can't restart until they finish
> work tonight.
>
> Now I just need to work out why on the 1st of the Month when the logs
> are changed over Apache hangs and has to be restarted? I can't see
> anything in the logs, but it's almost as if it's stopped, logs renamed,
> but then not started by which ever script is controlling it?

Look for instances of "logrotate", /etc/logrotate, /etc/logrotate.d and
so on.  You can also look in /etc/cron.monthly, which is probably where
it all starts.
But then, if you have a problem wit that, ask on a Linux list, not here,
because this has nothing to do with Apache.

And, by the way, if you change the location of the logfiles, then your
current configuration of logrotate will not be valid anymore, and you
will *have* to change it.
Have fun.