httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Spliting ServerRoot
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:39:41 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
>> I've just had a problem on a site that I need to get fixed properly.
>>
>> I should probably have taken a bit more care when I set thing up, but
>> at that time I missed one thing, and that was that the log files
>> default to ServerRoot.
>>
>> I don't want to move the configuration files from /etc/ but I need to
>> move all the logging over to /usr2/ so that it does not fill the base
>> 8Gb partition - and crash the server :(
>>
>> Is there a 'global' setting which will move the base log directory or
>> do I have to handle each logging directive manually? This is on a
>> Mandiva 2008.0 setup which uses /etc/httpd/ but on the SUSE setup I
>> seem already to have the logging split, and can't see why it's different.
>>
> In the httpd.conf (or apache.conf) and/or similar VirtualHost conf
> files, there are 2 lines :
> ErrorLog and CustomLog, which indicate the logfiles for errors, and for
> accesses respectively.
> If the paths to these files start with a "/", then the path is absolute.
> If it starts without a "/", then it is relative to the server root.
>  From what you say above, I guess they start with "logs/....", which
> make them relative.
> So just change that to "/usr2/httpd/logs/.." or whatever you need, and
> restart apache.

TA - that was the kick I needed. But I can't restart until they finish work
tonight.

Now I just need to work out why on the 1st of the Month when the logs are
changed over Apache hangs and has to be restarted? I can't see anything in the
logs, but it's almost as if it's stopped, logs renamed, but then not started
by which ever script is controlling it?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL