httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Caplan <mich...@eggplant.ws>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Chunked + Gzip
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:00:44 GMT
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response.  Pipelining of deflate and chunking filters is
exactly what I am seeing Apache perform -- just didn't know what to call
it.  To rephrase the question, does the HTTP 1.1 RFC address how to
handle the layering of a chunked transfer encoding on top of a gzip
content encoding?

I guess I am hung up on the legacy of mod_gzip, which forced dynamically
generated data to be dechunked before gzipped. Perhaps an implementation
limitation, I assumed that this was a matter of protocol than anything
else.  Sounds like I am mistaken about that.

Best,

Mike

PS - I agree that PHP doesn't concern itself with chunking, but it can
influence the web server in this regard.  By flush()ing PHP's output
buffers, it "tries to push all the output so far to the user's
browser."  Depending on the web server and web server buffing scheme, it
may result (does in Apache + mod_php) in the web server packaging up a
chunk and firing it off.