httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Default value of AllowOverride
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:34:28 GMT
Andreas Prilop wrote:
> Which is the default value of AllowOverride?
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#allowoverride
> claims that the default is
>   AllowOverride All
>
> However, /etc/apache2/sites-available/default contains
>   <Directory />
>   AllowOverride None
>   </Directory>
>
> Does this mean that the default is "none"?

No.
I don't know the answer to your main question, but the fact that
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default contains something, only means that
*for that Virtual Server* (the one defined in that file, and which is
presumably the one that handles all calls that have no proper "Host"
header), the value is "None".

Each of your other VirtualHosts has its own value, and if it does not,
then it uses the value (if any) defined in the "main" section of your
Apache configuration.
That is whatever directives are *before* the NameVirtualHosts line, in
the /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file.
Those are the defaults used by all VirtualHosts.

André