httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] way for me to turn off if-modified-since & always return 304 reply ?
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:27:04 GMT
Manik Taneja wrote:
> Nope, there is no way you can prevent the client from sending you an IMS
> request.

The above is correct, but if I understand the OP question correctly, the
basic issue is to make sure that the client does not re-use a cached
page, but always retrieves the latest page from the server.

There is a whole array of things one can do on the server side, to at
least try to achieve this. I don't recall all the specifics, but look
for instance at HTTP headers such as "Cache-control".
See here
section 14.9

The general idea is : the server, by a combination of HTTP headers sent
along with the documents, and tags in the documents themselves, should
be able to tell the client whether this page can, or cannot, be cached
and re-used.
And according to the HTTP specifications, the client (and any
intermediate proxies) should obey these instructions.

Now whether they always actually do, is anothet issue.
(But in the practice I have noticed that they generally do).

To modify the HTTP headers that Apache sends along with documents, you
could use something like this :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_headers.html
or mod_perl handlers.

André