httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alexandru David Constantinescu <ald...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Logs
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:13:15 GMT
Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for the reply. FYI I am using UNIX (freebsd).
>
> Up tp this point, I have been using an sh script to rotate logs.
>
> The logs in question are the access_log and error_log in each one of my
> (Apache) virtual hosts.
>
> logrotate looks like the cats meow!
>
> I have read the man page and it states to use wildcards with caution (as
> always). So I have one question:
>
> Can I use a wildcard as such,
>
> /home/*/logs/access_log
>
> /home/*/logs/error_log
>
> The '*' being the wildcard to denote the home dir for
>
> virt_domain1.com
> virt_domain2.ca
> virt_domain3.net
>
> -Grant
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Pasher"
> <justinp@newmediagateway.com>

I don't think that the idea to keep separate logs (real time) for each
virtualhost it's a good idea. Think to the IO involve in this
operations. Let's say you have 300 vhost, your system must write in 600
separate files.
Once I have the same problem. The solution was :
1 - to keep just two file access log and error log;
2 - logrotate rotate this files every 1 hour (on 00 I have 48 gzip files);
3 - I use split-logfile (a perl script from apache I think) to split
every log for each vhost and put the chunk in homedir of each vhost
4 - move (copy) that 48 gzip log files on separate server for archiving.

Alex