httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin Pasher <just...@newmediagateway.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Checking if file or directory exist
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:02:44 GMT
Jason Pruim wrote:

>>> after you load purl.schreurprinting.com/jasonpruim112 there will be
>>> a link to http://purl.schreurprinting.com/mail.php?purl=jasonpruim112
>>>
>>> The basic premise I have been working off of is just simply if the
>>> file exists, let that file handle serving the page, if it DOESN"T
>>> exist pass it to p.php to handle it.
>>>
>>> So with that understanding I don't think that I need to capture
>>> anything in the rewritecond's other then if the file exists correct?
>> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
>>
>> You shouldn't have to worry about capturing any query string since
>> you are performing an internal rewrite (the URL stays the same for
>> the user). Referring back to your other email (which I mistakenly
>> nuked already)...
>>
>> --------------------
>> That is odd.... I moved the rewrite rules to a .htaccess file and now
>> the real links work right, but the false links don't go into my
>> handeler script... in other words
>> http://purl.schreurprinting.com/mail.php?purl=jasonpruim112 works but
>> http://purl.schreurprinting.com/jasonpruim112 does NOT...
>>
>> Here is my .htaccess file... Does it look right?
>>
>> Options +FollowSymlinks
>> RewriteEngine on
>> RewriteLog /var/log/purl.virt.rewrite.log
>> RewriteLogLevel 9
>>
>> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
>> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
>> RewriteRule . /p.php [L]
>> --------------------
>>
>> So there is no file/directory called jasonpruim112
>> <http://purl.schreurprinting.com/jasonpruim112>, correct? I copied
>> your .htaccess file (removing the RewriteLog* references) and it
>> correctly rewrites the URL request for /jasonpruim112
>> <http://purl.schreurprinting.com/jasonpruim112> to p.php. Is this not
>> what you are seeing?
>
> Hey Justin,
>
> You are correct that jasonpruim112 does not exist but is linked in a
> database... Although, I did some searching on the net and fighting
> with my config files and noticed that AllowOverides was set to none
> rather then all....
>
> Once I made that switch both the main link, and the internal links all
> started working properly.
>
> Sometimes I hate how picky computers can be hehehe.

Doh. I forgot to mention that moving to the .htaccess file would require
apache to allow overrides in that directory. That was my default setting
in my testing environment, so I didn't even think of it. If all else
fails, I find checking the apache error log can sometimes reveal things
that you may not have known were going wrong.

At any rate, it sounds like you're all set now!

--
Justin Pasher