httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin Pasher <just...@newmediagateway.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] per-subdirectory 405 Method Not Allowed in .htaccess file for read-only WebDAV
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 22:55:19 GMT
Vasiliy Baranov wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> I have a directory named 'foo' in which I have a subdirectory named
> 'bar' and an '.htaccess' file in which I need to specify that all
> methods expect GET, HEAD, OPTIONS, and PROPFIND on all resources in
> the 'bar' subdirectory should result in 405 Method Not Allowed
> response. The directory layout is as follows:
>
>    foo
>        .htaccess
>        bar
>
> I cannot have .htaccess in 'bar' and thus cannot specify <LimitExcept>
> for the 'bar' directory, plus <Limit> and <LimitExcept> both result in
> 403 Forbidden rather than 405 Method Not Allowed. Am I to use
> mod_rewrite rewrites with the R=405 flag? If so, can I somehow add the
> list of allowed methods to the Allow header in 405 Method Not Allowed
>
> The ultimate goal here is to make the 'bar' subdirectory of the
> WebDAV-enabled 'foo' directory read-only for everyone.

Without being able to either move/create an .htaccess file under bar or
specify the settings in the global apache config, I don't think there is
a way to make the <Limit> apply just to the bar directory. You would
need to encompass it in a <Directory> or <Location> directive, but those
directives are only allowed in the global and virtualhost config context.

Even with mod_rewrite, since you are actually tricking the server to
report the 405 error code, I don't think you'll be able to report a
proper list of commands in the "Allow" header without using <Limit>.

Justin Pasher