httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jay Sprenkle <jspre...@reddawn.net>
Subject [users@httpd] fastcgi/cygwin failures
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 22:38:13 GMT
Good evening,

After much hair pulling I've found my particular bug with fastcgi on
Windows Apache. I thought I would share with the community.

Any fastcgi binary application compiled with Microsoft (msvc 8, etc)
compilers and running against a mod_fastcgi compiled under cygwin with a
version of 1.5.24 or earlier will fail. The cygwin libraries do not
emulate dup2() in such a way that the duplicated handle is reliably
inheritable by a child process. This causes the fastcgi application to
fail if it uses a tcp/ip connection for interprocess communication.

There's a discussion of the problem here:
http://www.nabble.com/Socket-inheritance-with-fork-dup2-exec-td11243160.html

Jay Sprenkle