httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin Pasher <just...@newmediagateway.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Indexes and Authentication
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 19:47:27 GMT
Andrew Hall wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'd like to allow directory indexes for certain clients but not for others.
>
> Specifically to allow our internal network to view them but external
> connections to be refused.
>
> Is there some way to wrap Options [+-]Indexes within Authentication by
> IP address ?
>
> Thanks very much.

I don't think you're going to be able to do this, as the Options
directive can only be changed within a "container" context (e.g. global
config, <VirtualHost>, <Directory>, .htaccess). Since the Allow
from/Deny from directives are not container objects, you can't wrap the
Options directive inside of them. A solution I have used in the past to
emulate this behavior is to create an index files written in a
programming language like PHP or Perl and have that page generate the
index listing instead of Apache. This allows you to put any security
checks you like on the directory index generation.

Justin Pasher