httpd-users mailing list archives

From Markus Mayer <mymailli...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] finding the cause of a hung apache with 500+ child processes
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:27:18 GMT

On Monday 08 September 2008, 13:13 Eric Covener wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Markus Mayer <mymaillists@gmx.at> wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can pinpoint this problem?
> > Is there any way I can log requests before they are fully served by
> > apache, as this might help the next time this shows up.
>
> Run pstack against all the child processes you find when you have a
> hang, if you're curious about what they're doing.

This seems to work well, thank you.  Through my experimenting, I also found
the solaris command pfiles.  This is much slower, but lists all files that a
process has open at the time of calling.  For an apache server with 500+
child processes, it will unfortunately need more than an hour to go through,
however I think after 40 or 50, I should be able to get a good idea of what's
making it hang.