httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Directory hiding
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:13:50 GMT

On 16 Sep 2008, at 06:57, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:

> That may be the case but their recommendation is still: Issue a "404 -
> Not Found" response status code for a forbidden resource, or remove it
> completely.

Either they're wrong or you're misreading.

But I can see what's happening.  It's "chinese whispers", starting from
the CIS benchmark.  Most likely someone along the way (IBM's tech
writer's boss or somesuch) insisted that a meaningful explanation
would be too difficult for their lusers, and either didn't understand or
didn't care that it's misleading.

Security by Cookery.  BTDT.  I can feel a blog entry coming on.

--
Nick Kew