httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eric Covener" <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Why do I need /var/www as DocumentRoot & www-data as www owner?
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:28:14 GMT
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Greg Platt - Platt Consultants
<GregPlatt@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> You're now using someone elses packaging of the Apache HTTP Server.
>> What Apache change are you referring to?

> On my old RedHat 7.2 server as it was delivered, DocumentRoot for each
> <VirtualDomain> was essentially /home/www/mydomain or /www/mydomain
> depending on your perspective. One was basically a link to the other. In the
> new scheme of things, DocumentRoot was moved (and it seems to have been done
> by Apache themselves) to /var/www.

I doubt Apache ever shipped with a default config that included
mod_vhost_alias.  Perhaps RedHat set this up for you, if it really
wasn't configured after the fact.

Apache supports a number of canned layouts that you select at build
time, but they dictate very little in the manner of how you'd add
additional domains / document roots.  It's mostly concerned with where
the binaries, documents, and icons are installed relative to eachother
(along with the initial global DocumentRoot, which for a number of
layouts even in 5.3 is /var/www)

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com