httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eric Covener" <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Why do I need /var/www as DocumentRoot & www-data as www owner?
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 20:43:01 GMT
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Greg Platt - Platt Consultants
<GregPlatt@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I remember someone mentioning in a post I made weeks ago that the ownerships
> and permissions on my web directories seemed odd. His remarks suggested he
> thought all web directories ought to be owned by www-data and have
> permissions of 755.

Generally your webserver (www-data) userid shouldn't own the content
it's serving (or the directory it lives in)

I think you're  taking the packaging decisions of various
distributions to heart a little too much.  You should be able to quite
easily change a DocumentRoot as you move from host to host.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com