httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eric Covener" <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite, L and F flags
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:25:41 GMT
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Stephen Wellington
<wellingtonsteve@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am having trouble with mod_rewrite and would appreciate a little help.
> I've tried searching Google and reading the manual but found little
> that helps!
>
> I am trying to achieve something like this:
>
> RewriteRule ^a.php$ b.php [L]
> RewriteRule ^b.php$ - [F]
>
> The intention is that requests to a.php will serve the contents of
> b.php, but if a user tries to go directly to b.php they are given a
> 403 error.  My understanding is that L flag stops further matching of
> rules. but this doesn't appear to work, neither does a 'solution' from
> Google of using the NS flag in the second rule.

Your strings don't start with a slash, which means you're in
directory/location/htaccess context.

In this context, after any rewrite occurs the entire process is
re-started with the new URL.  This makes 'L' work a little different
then in virtualhost context.

"Remember, however, that if the RewriteRule generates an internal
redirect (which frequently occurs when rewriting in a per-directory
context), this will reinject the request and will cause processing to
be repeated starting from the first RewriteRule."

Maybe you could set an environment variables [E=foo:bar] to remember
you've rewritten this request?

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com