httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Greg Platt - Platt Consultants" <GregPl...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Why do I need /var/www as DocumentRoot & www-data as www owner?
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 20:58:17 GMT
You may be absolutely right here, Eric. Indeed, I hope you ARE right. That's
exactly what I have begun to suspect. When I couldn't find anyone in the
Debian world who could explain why I shouldn't change DocumentRoot on
individual sites when I needed to, I began to suspect I had overreacted to
the original comment (and taken it too seriously). In short I started to
think perhaps there was no good reason. That's why I joined the Apache Users
list to ask. I figured if ANYONE knows a good reason you guys will. ;)

Thanks for the direct feedback, Eric. So far, that's two votes that suggest
it really doesn't matter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Covener [mailto:covener@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 2:43 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; gregplatt@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Why do I need /var/www as DocumentRoot & www-data
as www owner?

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Greg Platt - Platt Consultants
<GregPlatt@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I remember someone mentioning in a post I made weeks ago that the
ownerships
> and permissions on my web directories seemed odd. His remarks suggested he
> thought all web directories ought to be owned by www-data and have
> permissions of 755.

Generally your webserver (www-data) userid shouldn't own the content
it's serving (or the directory it lives in)

I think you're  taking the packaging decisions of various
distributions to heart a little too much.  You should be able to quite
easily change a DocumentRoot as you move from host to host.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com