httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Kutschera <news2...@ecuapac.dyndns.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: <Location /> for a whole site BUT one directory
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:05:06 GMT
André Warnier schrieb:
> Ralph Kutschera wrote:

>>   I've been searching the archive but it seems there isn't yet a
>> solution to this:
>>
>>   I would like to have a whole site to be accessed only by user/passwd:
>>
>> <Location />
>>   AuthXXX [..]
>> </Location>
>>
>>   Only one directory should be accessible without authentication:
>> <Location /public>
>>   Order Allow,Deny
>>   Allow from All
>> </Location>
>>
>>   This does not work. I'm getting asked for user/passwd whenever I try
>> to access http://domain.com/public

Hallo Andre!

> It looks like the AuthXXX directives are being "inherited" from the
> location / to the location /public, doesn'it ?

Yes.

I did this test:
<Location /> AuthName "Server" [..]</Location>
<Location /public> AuthName "Public"  [..]</Location>

The funny thing about that: When trying to access
https://domain.com/public I'm getting ask for the "Public" realm first
and after supplying a correct user/passwd I'm getting asked for the
"Server" realm. So it's anyhow the opposite of "inherited".

> What happens if in /public, you just add another "AuthName public", and
> no other auth-related directives ?

This one doen't help. And sorry, I forgot to mention: I'm using Apache 1.3.