httpd-users mailing list archives

From Audio Phile <da_audioph...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] lower cpu priority to perl scripts
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:18:53 GMT
Tamer,

Thank you very much for the reply.  I googled around for the proper syntax of your suggestion
as well as which config file I need to edit with it, but I came up with a big fat 0.  Can
you provide a few more details for me?  Apologies in advance, I am a newbie with apache2 :)

Tamer Embaby wrote:
Audio,

You can always start your scripts with [re]nice() syscall to lower
your process (perl script in this case) priority.

Regards,
Tamer

-----Original Message-----
From: Audio Phile [mailto:da_audiophile@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:57 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] lower cpu priority to perl scripts

I'd like to adjust the priority of /usr/bin/perl such that it will always run with very low
priority.  The PC that I'm using isn't very powerful.  I'm running rrdweather on it and when
a user hits the weather.cgi about 10 processes of perl scripts run,
which totally throttles foreground applications until they finish.

How can I assign /usr/bin/perl to always run with a really low CPU priority (a really high
nice value) for any script it executes? Is this an apache2 setting or...?