httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alexandru David Constantinescu <ald...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Load Increases due to Apache
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:23:20 GMT
Gaurav Pruthi wrote:
> Hi Agnello,
>
> I am using prefork MPM
>
> <IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
>     StartServers         20
>     MinSpareServers      25
>     MaxSpareServers      50
>     MaxClients          500
>     MaxRequestsPerChild   0
> </IfModule>
>

> Thanks,
> Gaurav
>

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Agnello George
> <agnello.dsouza@gmail.com <mailto:agnello.dsouza@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 8/29/08, *Gaurav Pruthi* <gkpruthi@gmail.com
>     <mailto:gkpruthi@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Dear Friends,
>
>         I am facing very strange problem. I have a LAMP server. It has
>         around 400 of websites hosted on it. Since last one month the
>         server load increases suddenly. When checked using top command,
>         i saw apache process consuming 99% of CPU. After i kill httpd
>         and starts it again (or using HUP), load comes down to the
>         normal. It happens 8-10 times each day. I am unable to find what
>         could cause the apache to consume all the resources of server
>         and causing server to hang.
>
>         Kindly help me to resolve this issue.
>

>     Could you tell us the  Server-Pool Size Regulation  mentioned in the
>     httpd.conf
>
>     --
>     Regards
>     Agnello D'souza
>     www.linux-vashi.blogspot.com <http://www.linux-vashi.blogspot.com>
>     www.bible-study-india.blogspot.com
>     <http://www.bible-study-india.blogspot.com>
>

> --
> Gaurav Pruthi

MaxClients          500 could be useless (I may be wrong but from what I
know is a hard coded limit in apache source code HARD_SERVER_LIMIT who
is set to 250 so if you want to raise that limit you must recompile your
apache)

MaxRequestsPerChild   0 it say that once a child is created he can stay
up and running for infinite time. It could be better to limit this , let
say to 10000 in order to force apache to kill a stressed child and start
a fresh one.

MinSpareServers      25 in my opinion is a little bit high. Practically
you force apache to keep free 25 servers any time. Try to set this
parameter to something like 10 or 15

Ther is a lot of literature about those parameters and how is the best
way to set them bun ther is not a clear solutions so the best practice
is to start playing with them and look for what happen.