httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Sutter <Michael.Sut...@ipe.fzk.de>
Subject [users@httpd] too many open files
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:17:58 GMT
Hello list,

I have a strange problem with my httpd daemon and hopefully somebody can
help me.
I'm running a Apache 2.0.49 on a Suse 9.1 and have the mod_axis2
deployed. Inside
Axis2 I'm running a service which is queried every ten seconds.

After running for some hours, sometimes 2, sometimes 4, sometimes more I
always got
a exception: Too many open files. The exception is not written to the
error log, it is the
return value of my service. I also have no entry at the corresponding
time in my access.log,
so I think it is thrown before the service is accessed.

I searched through the list and found, that normally the solution is  to
increase the limit
of open files. So I added in /etc/security/limits.conf
*  soft    nofile  8192
*  hard    nofile  50000
logged out and in again.

For my understanding this should increase the number of open files for
every user.
Nevertheless, this don't changed the behaviour. I always got the
exception. So I also
added ulimit -n 8192 to my init script, which shows the same behaviour.

I also monitored the number of open files on the system. It is always
about 2000 - much
less then I have declared in the configuration. The httpd daemon
normally has 10 process
and every process has opened about 90 - 95 files. So I'm also not on the
configured limit.

Has anybody some idea what I'm doing wrong or how I can solve the problem?

Kind regards
Michael