httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] starting apache at boot?
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:48:54 GMT
Zach Uram wrote:
> I manually compiled apache2 since the version packaged for Debian is
> the threaded version which causes fatal memory errors on my VPS host
> and it works great but now I need to tell it to start every time my
> system boots. Running Debian lenny/sid (testing release) with 2.6.18
> Linux kernel. How exactly can I do this?

Hi.
This is not really Apache-specific, and more of an OS question, probably
better asked on a Linux Debian forum.

Here is a short tutorial, and for the rest you will have to go to the
proper forum :

In the directory /etc/init.d you will find a number of scripts which
serve to start daemons at system boot time, and stop them at shutdown time.
These scripts are not executed directly, but through links that you will
find in /etc/rc2.d (for example).
When the system boots, a special boot process makes a sorted list of all
the links that it finds in /etc/rc2.d and which start with the letter
"S" (S is for "Start").
Then it "calls" each one these links with an argument "start".  Because
this link points to one of the scripts in /etc/init.d, the corresponding
script from /etc/init.d is run, with the "start" argument.
That is what starts a daemon.
Similarly, when the system is shut down, a similar process makes a list
of all the links found in /etc/rc2.d and which start with "K" (K like
"Kill").  Then it executes each of these links in turn with the argument
"stop".  The corresponding script in /etc/init.d is then executed with
the argument "stop", and that is what stops a running daemon at system
shutdown time.

When you install a packaged version of a daemon program like Apache, the
package installation procedure takes care of installing the appropriate
start/stop script in /etc/init.d, and the corresponding "S" and "K"
links in /etc/rc2.d, so it is really easy and most of the time trouble-free.

(That is exactly what makes packages great, and I hereby present my
thanks and appreciation to the people who create these packages, since
these people are so often villified in forums such as this one.)

If you install a program from source however, you have to take care of
this yourself : create the script in /etc/init.d, and the "S" and "K"
links in /etc/rc2.d.

There are two ways of doing this :
- either you copy an already existing script (of another installed
daemon) in /etc/init.d, and modify it as appropriate for your Apache
version; and you create corresponding links in /etc/rc2.d (also look at
the ones which already exist, and try to do the same kind of thing)
- or :
   - re-install the packaged Apache version which you installed and
de-installed earlier. This will install the Apache you do not want, but
also, more importantly, the proper startup and shutdown scripts for it.
   - take a copy of the /etc/init.d/apache2 script, and note the
corresponding "Sxxxapache2" and "Kxxxapache2" links that are now in
/etc/rc2.d
   - then de-install (again) that version of Apache (this will delete
again the script in /etc/init.d and the links in /etc/rc2.d, which is
why you had to make a copy of them in the previous step)
   - then rename the copies that you made earlier, and modify the
/etc/init.d/apache2 script so that it uses you hand-installed version of
Apache (points to the correct directory etc..)

A third way would be to ask someone on thist list if they would not have
already-made scripts for your version of Apache, and be nice enough to
send you a copy and instructions.

André