httpd-users mailing list archives

From "pavel.stratil-jun@fenix.cz" <pavel.stratil-...@fenix.cz>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_dav configuration
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 02:49:20 GMT

Hi all,

my problem is the following: In /var/www/vhosts i have the virtual
hosts, i.e. /var/www/vhosts/{site.com,test.net,etc.com}.Now i have n
users. I want user1 to be able to access the site.com and test.net
directory over webdav on his dav folder at
https://user1:pass1@domain.com/dav/user1/{site.com,test.net}. I started
with a simple test

Alias /dav "/var/www/vhosts"
<Directory "/var/www/vhosts">
    Dav On
    ForceType text/plain
    # Auth
    AuthType Digest
    AuthName DAV
    AuthUserFile "/var/www/.htpasswddav"
    # Allow access from any host
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    Options None
        # Disable anything
    <LimitExcept GET OPTIONS>
        require user admin
    </LimitExcept>
    SSLOptions +StrictRequire
    SSLRequireSSL
</Directory>

The LimitExcept directive is obviously incorrect because this way it
blocks out a substantial part of standard http requests (not-dav
requests). What i need help with is the following:

Q1 isnt there some easier way to allow different users to access
different folders and subfolders over dav? Am I not doing things
unnecessary complicated?
Q2 how can i make visible only the paths/dirs the user is to have access
to? Symlinks dont work with mod_dav. Enabling dav on an empty dir (/dav)
and aliasing with Alias /dav/site.com "/var/www/vhosts/site.com" doesnt
work as well. I'm not sure if mount --bind would be suitable because the
box has about 300 users. Never used mount --bind in such a number and am
not aware of possible security issues.
Q3 in the example config. above, wouldnt it be easier to only turn on
DAV on /var/www/vhosts and then work with <Location> instead of <Directory>?
Q4 isnt there some easier way to allow different users to access
different folders and subfolders?

Any help will be very appreciated.
TIA, Pavel Stratil