httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Does Apache Support Piped Logs On Windows Platform
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2008 06:34:37 GMT
Yoann Roman wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> Then it became 'run this shell command through cmd.exe' - which needed
>> stdin/out/err all set up right to not-fail running as-a-service.
>>
>> Change it back from shellcmd to program and voila, the code works.  We
>> hacked at various handle codes for stdout/stderr, but nothing except
>> a legitimate file stream will make cmd.exe happy.
>>
>> So Apache just dies with a message that it fails to create the log.
>
> Was this problem ever resolved in 2.2.9?

Yes, the behavior I describe above, with apr 1.2, should have been resolved
with 2.2.9 and apr 1.3.0.

> I'm trying to set up 2.2.9 as a service on an XP SP2 box with either
> rotatelog or cronolog for main and vhost error/access logs, but I see
> several cmd.exe processes when starting it up. I have a W2K box with 2.0.63
> that doesn't have this shell behavior (also a service using cronolog).

Oh - it still runs cmd.exe.  The difference is - there are the correct
pipes between apache and that cmd/invoked program/script.

> What I found...
>
> This says a similar problem was resolved in 2.2.6:

Please be specific about *your* problem...

> I also skimmed through the SVN logs for log.c and didn't see anything about
> fixing this.

No, these are all subdependencies, you wouldn't note them from log.c