httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] <Location /> for a whole site BUT one directory
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:37:38 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Ralph Kutschera wrote:
>> Hallo list!
>>
>>   I've been searching the archive but it seems there isn't yet a
>> solution to this:
>>
>>   I would like to have a whole site to be accessed only by user/passwd:
>>
>> <Location />
>>   AuthXXX [..]
>> </Location>
>>
>>   Only one directory should be accessible without authentication:
>> <Location /public>
>>   Order Allow,Deny
>>   Allow from All
>> </Location>
>>
>>   This does not work. I'm getting asked for user/passwd whenever I try
>> to access http://domain.com/public

On second thought..
The answer may be in the Apache doc.  It is well-hidden, but it's there.
See
:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#require
section : Removing controls in subdirectories

It looks like by just adding "Satisfy any" in the <Location /public>
section , it may do the trick.

Try it and tell, I am interested.

By the way, I think that it would be safer to define this via
<Directory> sections than via <Location>.
For <Location />, it does not matter, because that's going to be the
same as you document root no matter what.
But, if your server were to be on a host whose file names are
case-insensitive (like Windows), then a user requesting a URL like
"/Public/x" would not fall under the conditions that apply to
"/public/x" (and nevertheless get the document).

André