httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eric Covener" <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] MaxClients/ServerLimit & server-status
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 12:28:43 GMT
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Jordi Prats <jordi.prats@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've a apache server configured with this parameters:
>
> ServerLimit 1024
> MaxClients 512
>
> What I'm undestanding from apache's documentation
> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/en/mod/mpm_common.html) is:
>
> ServerLimit is the hard limit for MaxClients, so if I set MaxClients
> up to 1024 I can simply reload apache. But, if I want to set
> MaxClients greater than this I must change it on both parameters and
> restart apache. Is that correct?

To move MaxClients above ServerLimit you need to stop/start instead of restart.

> On the other hand, why on server status appears 1024 slots if I have
> the MaxClients directive set to 512?

Apache will create up to MaxClients (512) but has room to track 1024
of them -- this is what allows you to scale MaxClients up during a
restart.  This space is not resized during a restart.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com