httpd-users mailing list archives

From solprovi...@apache.org
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Removing a permanent redirect from httpd.conf
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:41:02 GMT
On 7/13/08, Paul Trunfio <trunfio@bu.edu> wrote:
>  I have a couple of permanent redirects set in my httpd.conf file.
>  But I want to now undo them.
>
>  I first tried commenting them out and restarting apache.  Didn't work.
>  Then I added another explicit redirect to the new page. Didn't work.
>
>  So, I'm stuck.
>  Is there a solution?
>  What does it mean to be permanent?
>  Thanks, paul
>  Paul Trunfio

Permanent Redirects are meant to be permanent.  Every cache (httpd,
Web cache servers, browsers) should remember that requests to the
specified URL should be changed to the new URL.  Undoing the permanent
redirect requires waiting for all the caches to expire.  This is
similar to changing the IP address of a server -- most DNS servers
cache the IP Address for some duration based on the configurations of
the controlling DNS server and each DNS server.  While DNS
configuration includes the maximum cache duration (typically one day
to one week), no such setting is available for "permanent" redirects.

After undoing the permanent redirect:
1. Clear the caches under your control.  Restart httpd, empty your
browser's cache, and restart your browser..
2. Test using a browser on the server (or at least use wget) to verify
the change.
3. You may need to wait up to a full week for most Web caches to
expire.  Some (e.g. Google and other search engines) may update their
caches at even slower frequencies.

HTH,
solprovider