httpd-users mailing list archives

From Res <...@ausics.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: [Disarmed Scripts] [users@httpd] .htaccess advice
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:59:45 GMT
Rob,

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, Rob wrote:

> In the past i've typically written a htaccess file like this:
>
> deny from all
> allow from 127.0.0.1
> allow from localhost
>
> seams to do the job but im wondering if it could be done better. The ip
> address wont be changed often, and when they do, i would most likley be the
> person to do so, so i could do this on the conf file. Problem is, i dont
> know how to do so, could any one help ? Im also wondering if its possible to
> point people off if they are not on the allow list, maybe off to another
> file which i could say no access etc
>
> can any one shed some light on this ?

The conf file is the best place for all access controls now anyway...

Usually, teh best way to be in the global config section use
<Directory />
     AllowOverride None
     Order Deny,Allow
     Deny from all
</Directory>

Then you allow access to whatever dirs:
<Directory "/var/www/private">
     AllowOverride None
     Order Deny,Allow
     Allow from 127.0.0.1 some.host some.other.host (and so on)
</Directory>

*however* Why not use user/pass access to the directory? Must cleaner and
you can have 10's of thousands of users....

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.