httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to configure Apache 2.x for HTTP 1.0 version?
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 06:25:48 GMT

On Jul 14, 2008, at 10:52 PM, Anand Kulkarni wrote:

> I want HTTP 1.0 protocol because I heard that passing content length
> in HTTP 1.0 request is not mandatory.

It's not mandatory in 1.1 either.  See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html
  and scroll down to section 14.13.  You'll see that Content-Length
doesn't merit more than SHOULD, which is short of MUST and means you
don't strictly spoken have to send it.

According to section 4.4 of the RFC, you have several options to
indicate the length of your resource.  You could just send it and
close the connection (option 5), which would do the trick but won't
allow the client to calculate how long it has left to go.

Further in section 4.4 it says that clients MUST send a Content-Length
header with *requests* that contain a request body, and the server can
respond with a 400 or 411 if the client doesn't comply.  But that's
the *request*, not the response your application sends.

In any case, it doesn't necessarily matter what you *heard*.  The RFC
is the definitive source of information, stop hearing and start reading.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org