httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jorge Medina" <jmed...@e-dialog.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Running a cluster of Apache
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:20:00 GMT
I think I should add more details:

Lets assume that I have a cluster of machines running Apache:
	webapp0.eng.mydomain.com
	webapp1.eng.mydomain.com
	webapp2.eng.mydomain.com
	webappN.eng.mydomain.com

All of those instances of Apache are front-ended by a load balancer (a switch) that redirects
all requests to services.mydomain.com to a member of the cluster.

But, if the communication is HTTP over SSL, what configuration is required so that the same
certificate issued to services.mydomain.com can be used by all member of the cluster? Can
I use a ServerName (services.mydomain.com) that does not match the name of the server (webappX.eng.mydomain.com)?
Or do I require a <VirtualHost> entry?

Thank you.

From: Jorge Medina [mailto:jmedina@e-dialog.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 1:01 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Running a cluster of Apache

Hi,
  I want to run an application in a cluster of apache servers, all of them accessible at
the same URL.
  I also want to use SSL.
Is it possible to use the same ServerName for all the servers in my cluster? Would SSL work?
Or
Do I need to define a <VirtualHost> and put the certificate and key under this host?

Thanks

-Jorge