httpd-users mailing list archives

From "j k" <jonnyk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] trouble with vhosts and 2.2.8
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 04:36:47 GMT
On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Eben <eben@bakedbean.net> wrote:

> I just setup a new Fedora Core 9 box, running apache 2.2.8.
>
> I then setup a basic virtual host config using NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> My only virtual host looks like:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>   ServerAdmin admin@domain.com
>   DocumentRoot /home/domain/www
>   ServerName domain.com
>   ServerAlias www.domain.com
>   ErrorLog /home/domain/logs/error_log
>   CustomLog /home/domain/logs/access_log combined
>
>   # NOTE: I added this later, doesn't change anything...
>   <Directory "/home/domain/www">
>       Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>       AllowOverride None
>       Order allow,deny
>       Allow from all
>   </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I've made sure my DirectoryIndex includes all possible index types, SELinux
> is disabled, Firewall is disabled, permissions on /home/domain are wide open
> for testing.  No matter what I try, I keep getting a 403 Forbidden, and in
> the error log: (13)Permission denied: access to / denied
>
> I've been reading around on this, but there doesn't seem to be any
> definitive answers... there seems to be consensus that apache 2.2.x has a
> bit more security by default, but it's not clear what needs to be changed to
> allow the virtual hosts to resolve properly.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Eben
>
> That caught me at first also.. and every time I've upgraded its caught me
again :-) there's a default vhost  on mine I think it is called
default_vhost.inc  that has a comment line in it that says
"controls who can get stuff from this server" and as I recall right after
that it has along the lines of
 Order allow,deny
        Deny from all
 so that you have to then specifically allow each virtual host.
OTOH you could disable the improved security at your own risk by making that
an allow...
hth,
Johnny