httpd-users mailing list archives

From "KENNEY, William P. (Info. Tech. Services)" <Kenn...@easternct.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Correct use of UserDir directive.
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:12:16 GMT
Hello,

I am building a new web server with apache 2.2.
I have 300 users on this server and would like to allow about half of
them to publish personal web pages from their home directory.
The UserDir directive will accomplish this adequately as I may insert
"UserDir disabled" to disallow all and then insert "UserDir user1 user2"
etc to allow specific users to host web pages in their home directory.

My first question is:

Will the UserDir directive accept input from a text file or must all
usernames exist in the httpd.conf file?

If an input file is not an alternative, then may I enter users in groups
as follows in the httpd.conf file?

	UserDir disabled
	UserDir user1 user2 user3
	UserDir user4 user5 user6

and so on to make the httpd.conf file more readable?

Thanks in advance,

Bill