httpd-users mailing list archives

From Skip Evans <s...@bigskypenguin.com>
Subject [users@httpd] .htaccess and PHP
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:48:53 GMT
Hey all,

I'm new to the list and am having some issues with
a RewriteRule I've applied in an .htaccess file.
Or perhaps not the rule, but with using .htaccess
in general.

What I wanted to do was allow users to enter a URL
like the following:

http://varsitybeat.com/wi/madison

and then have my PHP/MySQL application receive
this URL in the index.php file, and then get the
wi and madison values from the $_GET array.

To do this I have the following in the .htaccess file.

Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^([^/]+)/([^/]+)
/index.php?st=$1&sc=$2 [NC]

And this is successful in accomplishing the goal.

In the index.php file I can use

$_GET['st'] to get 'wi', and $_GET['sc'] to get
madison, if someone enters the URL

http://varsitybeat.com/wi/madison

into their browser. The problem I have now,
though, and that really surprises me, is that if
this .htaccess file is in place, the application
no longer picks up its style.css (cascading style
sheet), or the JavaScript AJAX files, which are
included in a header.html file that index.php
reads in.

How exactly the style sheet and JS files are read
in is not anything unusual, just the regular
syntax in the <head> section of an html file.

But the main point is that when the .htaccess file
is in place, they are not accessed, and when it is
not they are.

Can anyone direct me where to begin researching
this kind of issue? I'm at a bit of a loss where
to begin.

Thanks!

--
Skip Evans