httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Point me in the right direction
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:47:13 GMT
Mark Feller wrote:
> On a given web page, if I look at the source on the server, I see tags
> such as <A0>,<93>,<94>, etc.,
[...]

What it seems that you have, is a character encoding compatibility
problem.  That is a very very wide issue, and would take many pages of
probably quite confusing explanations.
Probably what happens is that these web pages were created a while ago,
using some Microsoft tool, which created the pages using a Microsoft
Windows character set encoding (something like "CP-1252" or similar),
and the pages do not contain a proper indication that this is the case.

However, the standard character set on the web is something called
"iso-8859-1" (iso latin-1 in short).
So, when your server sends such a page out to a browser, the browser, by
default, thinks that this html page is encoded using the iso-8859-1
character set, tries to display it that way, and shows all those funny
characters or question marks.
The same probably happens when you try to open the page with a
Unix-based text editor, or even with an html editor if it also defaults
to iso-8859-1 as a character set.

Here is a tip that might help you, at least to make sure what is happening :
(First, make sure that when you copy that file back and forth, you
always specify "binary" as the mode of transfer, if you are asked.)
- Copy one of these pages to a Windows workstation directory.
- Use the Windows Notepad to open the page.
- In the <head> section of the page, add the following line :
- Then just re-save it, but in the File..Save As dialog, choose "UTF-8"
in the "coding" drop-down box.
- Then re-transfer this file to your server, and try again to open it
with a browser.
If it now shows up fine, then it means that the explanation above is the
right one.
Then you just have to do the same with all the other pages...

Else, zip one of these pages and send it here as an attachment, and
we'll see what we can do.
(I insist to zip it first, because otherwise it may get corrupted in
transit, and it's already confusing enough without adding another problem.)

André