httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] virtual hosting not working
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:17:11 GMT
Mike Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:35:41AM +1000, Res wrote:
>
>> Do you run your own (caching) DNS server?
>
> Nope.
>
>> If so set up two views, one external that the world gets (your routable IP
>> number of 75.100.112.198), the second view will have the domain with its
>> internal LAN IP.
>
> The keeper of vidiot.com hosting to the outside world is via the nameserver
> in Maryland (DC suburb).
>
> It is beginning to look like I need to bring up the DNS server and place it
> first in my resolv.conf file and have it point at my local IP.

I have the same problem here with lsces.co.uk
I simply added the local IP address for the machine that is hosting that
INSIDE the modem to the host file of the local machines.
Alternatively if I have a new machine up I just use the local IP address
rather than lsces.co.uk in the address.
My laptop finds the local address via the internal wireless and the internet
address when I'm out on the road - but that seems to be a bit of black magic :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL