httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jurrie Overgoor <jur...@stillus.nl>
Subject [users@httpd] ErrorDocument 403 does not work for document root
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:43:01 GMT
Hello everyone,

While I'm buidling (or updating) my site, I want to redirect my visitors
to a special "work in progress" page. I'm trying to do this by using
this .htaccess file

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 87.210.176.14
ErrorDocument 403 /wip/index.html

Furthermore, I have a .htaccess in the /wip/ directory that allows total
access:

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from all

This works okay for the most part. URLs like http://domain.org/doesexist
and http://domain.org/doesnotexist are redirected to
http://domain.org/wip/index.html. But it does NOT work for the URL
http://domain.org/. Instead, I get the "Fedora test page".

I'm wondering what the problem is here. Apache error logs show nothing
interesting:
[Wed Jul 09 22:16:24 2008] [error] [client a.b.c.d] client denied by
server configuration: /var/www/vhosts/horecaraalte.nl/httpdocs/doesnotexist
[Wed Jul 09 22:16:27 2008] [error] [client a.b.c.d] client denied by
server configuration: /var/www/vhosts/horecaraalte.nl/httpdocs/
But the result of both requests is different. The first redirects (okay)
to /wip/index.html, the second to the Fedora test page.

It might be an issue with Plesk 8.2.0, with CentOS, or with my hosting
provider's configuration files. But I have a hunch the problem is with
my .htaccess configuration...

Can anyone help me here? Thanks in advance!

With kind regards,

Jurrie Overgoor