httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Programmatic Authorization Logic
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2008 12:08:39 GMT
Ali Sakebi wrote:
> Thanks for answer.
>
> mod_perl (*) is what I was looking for.
> But is there any Java-based solution like mod_perl available too?

Nothing simple that I know of.
Apart from C or Perl, which integrate directly into Apache, you would
have to create some external module which does what you want, and then
find a way to retrieve this information and pass it to Apache.
It would probably be relatively inefficient if this has to be done at
every call, and for every request you need to start an external process e.g.

Unless you want to write your own add-on module in C, I believe in this
case mod_perl is really what fits, because it will allow you to write
something that really integrates in the Apache logic at a deep level,
while being at a level of complexity below a C add-on module.
Question of taste of course.

But can you give us an idea of what kind of access
control/authentication/authorization you are looking for ? I mean for
instance based on which criteria ? I have written a few AAA modules
using mod_perl, and could at least give you an idea of how complex it
would be to do what you want.  There are also a lot of mod_perl AAA
modules available, and since thy are open source, you can easily get an
existing one and modify it in function of your own needs.
Look also here e.g. :

http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/search?query=auth&mode=dist

No need to re-invent the wheel.

André