httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Forward proxies and aliases
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:03:31 GMT
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:48:54 -0600
"Tavian Barnes" <tavianator@gmail.com> wrote:

> But that's a reverse proxy, not a forward one.  I'm attempting to use
> an Apache server as a proxy for my web browser, that uses a local copy
> of certain files from certain sites.  As such, it has to be a forward
> proxy, because I'm using it for arbitrary web sites.

That's not what you originally asked.

Anyway, three solutions, from the most sensible
to the least:
  * Set up proxy exceptions in your browser preferences
  * Use mod_cache for your local copies
  * Use mod_rewrite - probably a rewritemap.

Unless of course your real purpose is to block crap like
animated images, in which case maybe the rewritemap makes
good sense (I use my ADSL router to do that).

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/