httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Arnold <carn...@electrichendrix.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Send a request to another apache server
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:21:49 GMT
>Why not do a redirect?  We have a webmail application as well, which lives on
>a different server.  I didn't want users to have to remember a new URL to
>access it, so by using the Redirect directive in httpd.conf on our Web
>server, users enter the URL http://www.ourwebsrvr.com/webmailprog, they're
>redirected to the webmail server (and presented ssl-enabled page, to boot).
This is what i have been trying to do all along through mod_alias :)

>The directive looks like this, keeping in mind the URL that users enter into
>their browsers (see above):
This is what the users enter into their browsers:
http://webmail.some-domain.tld

>Redirect /webmailprog https://oursecondsrvr.ourdomain.com/proggy/proggy.pl
This is what i have in my vhost.conf file:
<VirtualHost webmail.some-domain.com:80>
    ServerName some-domain.com
    RedirectPermanent / http://otherdomain.com:8080
</VirtualHost>
And as stated, this does not work. It takes you to the "root" site. So, where does your redirect
go (in which file)? I am entering into the vhost.conf file.

OK, so what i did was use your Redirect /webmailprog http://oursecondsrvr.ourdomain.com:8080
under their web virtualhost and it now works. Notice i was trying to accomplish a different
syntax of address: http://webmail.some-domain.tld to redirect to http://webmail.some-domain.tld:8080.
This did not work.